Industrial policy is the way that government supports industry to boost the economy. This note surveys industrial policy since 2010.Jump to full report >>
Industrial policies seek to support certain industries in order to encourage economic growth. Together these policies form an industrial strategy.
This note provides a definition of industrial strategy before describing the core themes of the Government’s policy since 2010:
• Boosting the development of 11 key sectors
• Supporting the development of eight key technologies
• Increasing access to finance for businesses
• Developing the skills of employees in key sectors
• Using public procurement to create opportunities for UK firms and supply chains
The 11 key sectors that the Government seeks to support are outlined in further detail as are other policies which support industries.
Commons Briefing papers SN06857
Author: Chris Rhodes