This paper has been written specifically for Members of Parliament and their staff, though others may find it of general interest.
It is a compilation of regularly asked questions about roads and vehicles. There is no intended link between articles other than that the topics are often the subject of requests by Members, usually on behalf of their constituents.
It covers the following issues:
- General questions about who is responsible for policy across the UK, including the impact of devolution and Brexit;
- Roads – including smart motorways, funding, lighting and maintenance;
- Traffic offences – including drink driving, using a mobile phone, sentences for serious offences, speed awareness courses, and insurance;
- Traffic regulation – including road signs, speed cameras, emissions charging, lorry bans, congestion and charging for road closures;
- Vehicles – including banning petrol and diesel cars, electric vehicles, idling engines and noisy exhausts and bright car lights; and
- Driving and licences – including HGVs using the wrong satnav, driving with a medical condition, dealing with a licensing problem, young and older
Further details on these issues and more can be found in a suite of Commons Library briefing papers, available on our website.