The Future of the UK digital and tech industries
Published Friday, April 13, 2018
This debate pack has been produced ahead of the Westminster Hall debate on 'The Future of the UK digital and tech industries' to be held on Wednesday 18th April at 2:30pm.
Jump to full report >>
- The digital industry in the UK is accounts for around 4% of employment and 7% of economic output.
- The whole of the digital sector employed 1.4 million people in 2015, 4.4% of all employment.
- The largest sub-sector in the digital industries was the computer programming and related activities sector, which employed 665,000 people, 47% of all digital sector employees.
- Economic output from the digital sector has grown considerably in recent years - between 2010 and 2015, the digital sector grew by 22%, whilst the whole UK economy grew by 17%.
- The Government's ambition "to create a world-leading digital economy that works for everyone" is set out in the Digital Strategy, published in March 2017
Share this page