Components of GDP: data on the components that make up GDP, including household consumption, government spending, investment, trade and output by sector.Jump to full report >>
Overall, GDP is estimated to have increased by 0.3% in real terms in Dec-Feb 2019 compared with the quarter before.
Services are the sector that account for the largest part of the economy – in 2017, they accounted for 79% of economic output, the production sector for 14%, construction for 6% and agriculture for 1%.
In Dec-Feb 2019, service sector output increased by 0.4% in real terms compared with the previous quarter.
Manufacturing output grew by 0.4% (the production sector overall grew by 0.2%). Output in the construction sector was down by 0.6%.
Household consumption is the largest element of expenditure across the economy, accounting for 63% of the total in 2018. Government consumption accounted for 18% and investment for 17%.
In Q4 2018, household consumption grew by 0.3% in real terms. Government consumption was up 1.3% and investment was down 0.6%. Exports were up 1.6% and imports were up 2.1% compared with the previous quarter.
Commons Briefing papers SN02787
Author: Lorna Booth
Topic: Economic situation