You are here:

House of Commons Library

Children: residence and contact court orders and related matters for parents, grandparents and others

Published Friday, November 3, 2017

This House of Commons Library briefing paper looks at child arrangements orders for residence and contact under the Children Act 1989. These court orders can be applied for by anyone, although some people (including grandparents in most cases) first require the leave of the court to apply. Topics covered in this paper include the factors that a court takes into account, the legal presumption that both parents should be involved in a child's life, and mediation.

Jump to full report >>

This note considers how an individual can apply for a ‘child arrangements order’ under the Children Act 1989. Child arrangements orders were introduced by the Children and Families Act 2014 on 22 April 2014 to replace the previous framework of contact and residence orders.

It should be noted that the Library can only provide general information, and that should a constituent wish to receive legal advice they should contact a solicitor. The Library note Legal help: where to go and how to pay sets out information about where to seek legal help or advice.

This note applies to England and Wales.

There are related briefing papers which might be of interest:

Commons Briefing papers SN03100

Author: Tim Jarrett

Topics: Children and families, Children's social services, Divorce

Share this page

Stay up to date

  • Subscribe to RSS feed Subscribe to Email alerts Commons Briefing papers

House of Commons Library

The House of Commons Library provides research, analysis and information services for MPs and their staff.